Friday, October 16, 2009

What would Meryl do?

I remember when Meryl Streep first blazed into New York. Some young cohort sniped that it was the Streep family's money and connections that purchased all the attention Merl was getting. [The acrid stench of jealousy reminded me of the bitter Minneapolis actor who crowed about working on stage with Dustin Hoffman before The Graduate made Hoffman an icon. Inflated with firsthand authority, this community theatre actor could pronounce Hoffman a 1st class asshole. Yes, of course, what is more reprehensible than being the guy who stole the success and fame that should have showered down on ME!]

The awful truth is I was jealous too, wondering what's the big deal about this pretender from Yale. But the wonderful truth is that Streep has more than earned her exalted status. I wonder if the chippie who tried to discredit the rising star has mellowed in following the trajectory of Meryl Streep's work. Could she possibly have seen Julie and Julia and not be swept into the embrace of the character's joie de vivre?

Lately, as I've been trying to find entree into the world where talent and passion have currency, I stumble over myself a lot. But when I do, it helps to reflect on the artful serenity that Meryl Streep exudes. "What would Meryl do?" works as a mantra.

So...Yeah, Mom. Do the work. Make it work.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Maralyn, I originally linked to your blog because I saw we share one of the same favorite books, 'The Sparrow.' Then, I saw you live in my favorite city :-)

    I enjoyed your post on Meryl and will be back!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete